What is involved in Product Development
Find out what the related areas are that Product Development connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Product Development thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Product Development journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Product Development leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Product Development related domains to cover and 170 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Product Development, New product development, Association of International Product Marketing & Management, Best practice, Brand management, Choice modelling, Conceptual economy, Consumer good, Customer requirement, Customer value proposition, Design for assembly, Design for manufacturability, Design for six sigma, Detailed design document, Engineering design, Flexible product development, High-level design, Industrial design, Integrated Authority File, Integrated product team, Market opportunity, Market penetration, Market research, Market share, National Diet Library, Phase–gate model, Pro-innovation bias, Process management, Product Development and Management Association, Product design, Product lifecycle, Product management, Product strategy, Quality function deployment, Requirements engineering, Requirements management, Social design, Soft launch, Stevens Institute of Technology, Supply chain, User-centered design, User experience, Verification and validation, Virtual product development, Voice of the customer:
Product Development Critical Criteria:
Chat re Product Development outcomes and change contexts.
– A dramatic step toward becoming a learning organization is to appoint a chief training officer (CTO) or a chief learning officer (CLO). Many organizations claim to value Human Resources, but how many have a Human Resources representative involved in discussions about research and development commercialization, new product development, the strategic vision of the company, or increasing shareholder value?
– The owner of the product development processes in one of the companies stated: there are no product managers named in the company, what should they do?
– What can we do to ensure that all the necessary product development steps are adequately followed under the pressure of being first to market?
– Compare sequential product development and simultaneous product development. what are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach?
– How do we measure improved Product Development service perception, and satisfaction?
– Project type: what percent of resources should go to new product developments?
– What are we trying to do whilst progressing a product development lifecycle ?
– How should you most effectively invest your product development resources?
– Which step in new product development you think is the most important?
– Do you collaborate with customers for product development and/or innovation?
– Do you collaborate with customers for product development andor innovation?
– What are the steps in the new product development process?
– How can new product development be sped up?
– Are we Assessing Product Development and Risk?
New product development Critical Criteria:
Add value to New product development risks and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive New product development projects.
– Consider your own Product Development project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Have you identified your Product Development key performance indicators?
Association of International Product Marketing & Management Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Association of International Product Marketing & Management outcomes and be persistent.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Product Development study?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Product Development activities?
– What threat is Product Development addressing?
Best practice Critical Criteria:
Confer over Best practice engagements and don’t overlook the obvious.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Product Development project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Product Development project lifecycle?
– What ITIL best practices, security and data protection standards and guidelines are in use by the cloud service provider?
– Is the use of CCM destined to become an important and requisite audit methodology best practice?
– Do the Product Development decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Does your organization have a company-wide policy regarding best practices for cyber?
– What are some best practices for gathering business intelligence about a competitor?
– What are the best practices in knowledge management for IT Service management ITSM?
– Who would you consider best practice in any or all of the instore sales drivers?
– What best practices in knowledge management for Service management do we use?
– Which is really software best practice to us, CMM or agile development?
– How does big data impact Data Quality and governance best practices?
– Are there any best practices or standards for the use of Big Data solutions?
– Which is really software best practice, CMM or agile development?
– What are some best practices for managing business intelligence?
– What best practices are relevant to your itsm initiative?
– Do we adhere to best practices interface design?
– Which rules constitute best practices?
Brand management Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Brand management projects and stake your claim.
– For your Product Development project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Product Development does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Will Product Development deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Choice modelling Critical Criteria:
Value Choice modelling leadership and drive action.
– Why is Product Development important for you now?
Conceptual economy Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Conceptual economy outcomes and assess what counts with Conceptual economy that we are not counting.
– How do we know that any Product Development analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– What is Effective Product Development?
Consumer good Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Consumer good tasks and finalize the present value of growth of Consumer good.
– In a project to restructure Product Development outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Who will provide the final approval of Product Development deliverables?
– What is our Product Development Strategy?
Customer requirement Critical Criteria:
Consider Customer requirement issues and remodel and develop an effective Customer requirement strategy.
– Think about the functions involved in your Product Development project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Will the product of the project fail to satisfy customer requirements if the change request is not executed?
– Will the product of the project fail to satisfy customer requirements if a change request is not executed?
– Does it increase the risk that the organization cannot meet its customer requirements?
– Does Product Development appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Customer value proposition Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Customer value proposition tactics and gather practices for scaling Customer value proposition.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Product Development process?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Product Development project?
Design for assembly Critical Criteria:
Adapt Design for assembly tactics and revise understanding of Design for assembly architectures.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Product Development ?
– Have all basic functions of Product Development been defined?
Design for manufacturability Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Design for manufacturability visions and probe Design for manufacturability strategic alliances.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Product Development is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Does Product Development analysis show the relationships among important Product Development factors?
– What about Product Development Analysis of results?
Design for six sigma Critical Criteria:
Understand Design for six sigma engagements and proactively manage Design for six sigma risks.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Product Development processes?
– Think of your Product Development project. what are the main functions?
– Do we have past Product Development Successes?
Detailed design document Critical Criteria:
Study Detailed design document engagements and track iterative Detailed design document results.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Product Development objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– How would one define Product Development leadership?
Engineering design Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Engineering design tasks and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Engineering design information.
– What are the long-term Product Development goals?
– What will drive Product Development change?
Flexible product development Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Flexible product development projects and forecast involvement of future Flexible product development projects in development.
– what is the best design framework for Product Development organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Product Development activities?
– How can we improve Product Development?
High-level design Critical Criteria:
Examine High-level design engagements and overcome High-level design skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Do Product Development rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– Who needs to know about Product Development ?
Industrial design Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Industrial design goals and summarize a clear Industrial design focus.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Product Development goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Product Development values?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Product Development effort?
Integrated Authority File Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Integrated Authority File governance and separate what are the business goals Integrated Authority File is aiming to achieve.
– To what extent does management recognize Product Development as a tool to increase the results?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Product Development been identified and analyzed?
– How can you measure Product Development in a systematic way?
Integrated product team Critical Criteria:
Apply Integrated product team leadership and innovate what needs to be done with Integrated product team.
– Does Product Development include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– What business benefits will Product Development goals deliver if achieved?
Market opportunity Critical Criteria:
Dissect Market opportunity adoptions and drive action.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Product Development product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Does Product Development create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– What are current Product Development Paradigms?
Market penetration Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Market penetration goals and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– What are the Essentials of Internal Product Development Management?
Market research Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Market research leadership and get going.
– Does the software allow users to bring in data from outside the company on-the-flylike demographics and market research to augment corporate data?
– Does the Product Development task fit the clients priorities?
– How is the value delivered by Product Development being measured?
Market share Critical Criteria:
Mine Market share failures and find out what it really means.
– Are the calculated sales volumes realistic, taking into account the competitive position, realistic market share, importance of customer problem/pain and stage/maturity of customer needs?
– Is Product Development dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Product Development requirements in detail?
– What drives market share?
National Diet Library Critical Criteria:
X-ray National Diet Library leadership and catalog what business benefits will National Diet Library goals deliver if achieved.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Product Development agendas for the next 3 years?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Product Development processes of our organization?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Product Development moving forward?
Phase–gate model Critical Criteria:
Match Phase–gate model goals and create a map for yourself.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Product Development into the services that we provide?
– Do we all define Product Development in the same way?
Pro-innovation bias Critical Criteria:
Frame Pro-innovation bias management and get answers.
Process management Critical Criteria:
Steer Process management governance and be persistent.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Product Development? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
Product Development and Management Association Critical Criteria:
Value Product Development and Management Association management and proactively manage Product Development and Management Association risks.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Product Development information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– What is our formula for success in Product Development ?
– Is Product Development Required?
Product design Critical Criteria:
Trace Product design issues and grade techniques for implementing Product design controls.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Product Development project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– How can you negotiate Product Development successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– To what extent has the product architecture and overall product design been developed?
Product lifecycle Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Product lifecycle issues and arbitrate Product lifecycle techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– What is the source of the strategies for Product Development strengthening and reform?
Product management Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Product management issues and differentiate in coordinating Product management.
– A vital question in new product management is: how should the business most effectively invest its research and development (r&d) and new product resources?
– What management system can we use to leverage the Product Development experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– In marketplace businesses what is the optimal relationship between product management Category Management and marketing?
– What is the optimal relationship between Product Management Category Management and Marketing?
– What are the a best practices for Agile SCRUM Product Management?
– How do we manage Product Development Knowledge Management (KM)?
Product strategy Critical Criteria:
Graph Product strategy projects and be persistent.
– What are the short and long-term Product Development goals?
– How well does the product fit with our product strategy?
– How can skill-level changes improve Product Development?
Quality function deployment Critical Criteria:
Depict Quality function deployment risks and revise understanding of Quality function deployment architectures.
– What are the key elements of your Product Development performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
Requirements engineering Critical Criteria:
Categorize Requirements engineering failures and report on setting up Requirements engineering without losing ground.
– How do we Lead with Product Development in Mind?
Requirements management Critical Criteria:
Debate over Requirements management risks and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Requirements management projects.
– How do we Identify specific Product Development investment and emerging trends?
– What kind of support for requirements management will be needed?
– How can the value of Product Development be defined?
Social design Critical Criteria:
Review Social design governance and intervene in Social design processes and leadership.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Product Development, including any consulting or professional services?
Soft launch Critical Criteria:
Pilot Soft launch results and correct Soft launch management by competencies.
Stevens Institute of Technology Critical Criteria:
Investigate Stevens Institute of Technology decisions and catalog Stevens Institute of Technology activities.
– How do we maintain Product Developments Integrity?
Supply chain Critical Criteria:
Consult on Supply chain adoptions and optimize Supply chain leadership as a key to advancement.
– The pharmaceutical industry is also taking advantage of digital progress. It is using IoT for supply chain security in packaging and tracking of drugs. There are new companies using computer chips in pills for tracking adherence to drug regimens and associated biometrics. Using this as an example, how will we use and protect this sensitive data?
– How is the complex digital supply chain -where multiple downstream providers provide services for each other and data residence and transmission points are increasingly obscure -being dealt with from an audit perspective?
– There is a need to determine where value is added in the supply chain what are the expectations of each stakeholder in the supply chain?
– To change the nature of the relationship in the supply chain where should we go and what leverage opportunity could be applied?
– Does Supply Chain Integration Mediate the Relationships between Product/Process Strategy and Service Performance?
– How do supply chain management systems coordinate planning, production, and logistics with suppliers?
– How can sluggish supply chains be empowered by IoT to make them more transparent and responsive?
– What makes cloud computing well suited for supply chain management applications?
– What are the roles of suppliers and supply chain partners in CRM?
– Do any suppliers in the supply chain have a dominating position?
– What and where are the value changes in the supply chain?
– In HW, SW & Services we source from a global supply chain?
– What does the supply chain do with product data?
User-centered design Critical Criteria:
Give examples of User-centered design outcomes and ask what if.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Product Development processes?
– When a Product Development manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
User experience Critical Criteria:
Administer User experience adoptions and probe User experience strategic alliances.
– What do you think the world of enterprise software delivery will look like in ten to fifteen years (take into account practices, technology, and user experience)?
– How can I avoid duplication of identity, attributes, and credentials and provide a single sign-on user experience for my users?
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– What is the difference between information architecture and user experience design?
– What are the potential impacts to user experience by using a cloud-based service?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Product Development processes?
– What are the problems when integrating Agile Development and User Experience?
– Agile-User Experience Design: With or Without a Usability Expert in the Team?
– What is the difference between customer experience and user experience?
– What is the purpose of Product Development in relation to the mission?
– What are the best-practices for creating a good User Experience?
– What does User Experience do?
– What is User Experience?
Verification and validation Critical Criteria:
Analyze Verification and validation projects and arbitrate Verification and validation techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Product Development strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Product Development opportunities costing us money?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Product Development objectives?
Virtual product development Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Virtual product development risks and learn.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Product Development project?
– Is maximizing Product Development protection the same as minimizing Product Development loss?
Voice of the customer Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Voice of the customer goals and acquire concise Voice of the customer education.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Product Development? There might be some that are less obvious?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Product Development with what users do day-to-day?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Product Development Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Product Development External links:
352 Inc – Digital Product Development and Marketing Agency
Invention Design, Product Development & Licensing | Enhance
New product development External links:
New Product Development Center
New Product Development – Kleinn Air Horns
Our Work: New Product Development | PDT
Association of International Product Marketing & Management External links:
AIPMM – Association Of International Product Marketing & Management · January 12 at 3:00pm · Be prepared for everything 2018 has to offer with an AIPMM membership.
Best practice External links:
ALTA – Best Practices
Best Practices – Independence Title
Best Practices — Attorneys Title I North Carolina
Brand management External links:
BMP – Brand Management Professionals
Choice modelling External links:
Journal of Choice Modelling – Elsevier
Journal of Choice Modelling – ScienceDirect.com
[PDF]Journal of Choice Modelling – Econometrics Laboratory, …
Consumer good External links:
Consumer good | economics | Britannica.com
Boytone Electronics and Consumer Goods
Consumer Goods – Investopedia
Customer requirement External links:
Critical Customer Requirement (CCR) – SurveyMethods.com
Customer value proposition External links:
Customer Value Proposition (CVP) framework | ToolsHero
[PDF]The Customer Value Proposition
Design for assembly External links:
Design For Assembly – davidkerr.solutions
Design for assembly (Book, 1983) [WorldCat.org]
Design For Assembly – burntorange.solutions
Design for manufacturability External links:
PCB Design For Manufacturability
[PDF]Design For Manufacturability – Sheet Metal Guidelines
Design for Manufacturability (eBook, 2014) [WorldCat.org]
Design for six sigma External links:
May 31, 2003 · Design for Six Sigma has 10 ratings and 0 reviews. The Latest Tools and Guidance Needed to Implement Design for Six Sigma …
Design for Six Sigma: A Roadmap for Product Development
Design for Six sigma (Book, 2003) [WorldCat.org]
Detailed design document External links:
Detailed Design Document Format
[PDF]Your detailed design document must include the following
Engineering design External links:
Dannenbaum – Civil Engineering Design | Texas
Industrial design External links:
Industrial Design Trends and Inspiration – leManoosh
Alias | Industrial Design & Product Design Software | Autodesk
Home | School of Industrial Design | Georgia Tech
Integrated Authority File External links:
MEDLARS indexing: integrated authority file
Integrated Authority File – YouTube
MEDLARS indexing integrated authority file : chemical section
Integrated product team External links:
[PDF]Integrated Product Team Effectiveness in the …
Integrated Product Team (IPT) – AcqNotes
Integrated product team
http://An Integrated Product Team (IPT) is a multidisciplinary group of people who are collectively responsible for delivering a defined product or process. IPTs are used in complex development programs/projects for review and decision making. The emphasis of the IPT is on involvement of all stakeholders (users, customers, management, developers, contractors) in a collaborative forum.
Market opportunity External links:
What is Market Opportunity? definition and meaning
What is market opportunity analysis? | Reference.com
Market penetration External links:
Market Penetration – Commentary Magazine
Market Penetration Analysis | Chron.com
Ansoff Matrix – Market Penetration Strategy
Market research External links:
[PDF]MARKET RESEARCH – www.acquisition.gov
Market Overview & Stock Market Research | Scottrade
Research Now: Online Market Research Company
Market share External links:
Market Share – Investopedia
California Insurance Market Share Reports
http://www.insurance.ca.gov › … › Company and Agent/Broker Information
Market Share | Title Data
National Diet Library External links:
Opening Hours & Library Holidays｜National Diet Library
Online Gallery | National Diet Library
National Diet Library | library, Tokyo, Japan | Britannica.com
Pro-innovation bias External links:
http://In diffusion of innovation theory, a pro-innovation bias is the belief that an innovation should be adopted by whole society without the need of its alteration. The innovation’s “champion” has such strong bias in favor of the innovation, that he/she may not see its limitations or weaknesses and continues to promote it nonetheless.
What is PRO-INNOVATION BIAS? What does PRO …
Pro-Innovation Bias – Sparkonit
Process management External links:
Infosys BPM – Business Process Management | BPM Solutions
Sales Process Management | ProspectStream
Business Process Management Jobs – CareerBuilder
Product Development and Management Association External links:
Product Development and Management Association …
Product design External links:
Mechanical Engineering Expert Witness and Product Design
Product Design and Development | Key Tech
Product Design and Development by PDT | PDT
Product lifecycle External links:
Product Lifecycle Management
What is product lifecycle ? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Product Lifecycle Management – Technology
Product management External links:
World Class Product Management Training | Product Focus
Master’s Degree in Drug Development & Product Management
2018 Product Management Bulletins
Product strategy External links:
What Is Product Strategy? – Examples & Definition – …
Quality function deployment External links:
Software Quality Function Deployment – iSixSigma
http://www.isixsigma.com › … › QFD/House of Quality
Requirements engineering External links:
[PDF]Collaborative Requirements Engineering – NIST
Requirements Engineering – Springer
Requirements Engineering (eBook, 2002) [WorldCat.org]
Requirements management External links:
Download Requirements Management with Visual Studio …
Top 20 Requirements Management Software 2018 – Capterra
iRise – Best prototyping tool + inline requirements management
Social design External links:
BUTTERFLY WORKS | social design studio
Space2b Social Design – Home | Facebook
DSI / Social Design
Soft launch External links:
The PR Secrets to a Successful Soft Launch – Entrepreneur
Soft Launch Vs. Hard Launch | Chron.com
Lost Longinus N.Sp | SOFT LAUNCH VS HARD LAUNCH! ベ …
Stevens Institute of Technology External links:
Stevens Institute of Technology – Official Site
Stevens Institute of Technology
Stevens Institute of Technology Home
Supply chain External links:
CaseStack Supply Chain Solutions
Reverse Supply Chain Solutions | Liquidity Services
Supply Chain Online Request Express
User experience External links:
User Experience Design
Google User Experience Research
eCode360® Library : The Best User Experience | General Code
Verification and validation External links:
[PDF]Verification and Validation – University of California, Irvine
International Address Verification and Validation | Experian
Virtual product development External links:
Voice of the customer External links:
iPerceptions | Full-Service Voice of the Customer solutions
Voice of the Customer: Have You Asked Enough Questions?
http://www.isixsigma.com › Methodology › VOC/Customer Focus
Voice of the Customer Technology of the Future | Qualtrics