What is involved in disaster recovery business continuity
Find out what the related areas are that disaster recovery business continuity connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a disaster recovery business continuity thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its disaster recovery business continuity journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward disaster recovery business continuity leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which disaster recovery business continuity related domains to cover and 154 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
disaster recovery business continuity, Disaster recovery and business continuity auditing, Business Continuity Plan, Business continuity, Business continuity planning, Casualty insurance, Comparison of backup software, Comparison of online backup services, Cost-benefit analysis, Data integrity, Disaster Recovery Plan, Disaster recovery, First aid, Information technology, Information technology audit, Information technology audit – operations, Insurance contract, Memorandum of agreement, Mission statement, Project management, Project manager, Property insurance, Recovery Point Objective, Recovery Time Objective:
disaster recovery business continuity Critical Criteria:
Gauge disaster recovery business continuity decisions and assess what counts with disaster recovery business continuity that we are not counting.
– Does disaster recovery business continuity appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Disaster recovery and business continuity auditing Critical Criteria:
Probe Disaster recovery and business continuity auditing outcomes and intervene in Disaster recovery and business continuity auditing processes and leadership.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which disaster recovery business continuity models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– How can you measure disaster recovery business continuity in a systematic way?
– How do we keep improving disaster recovery business continuity?
Business Continuity Plan Critical Criteria:
Focus on Business Continuity Plan visions and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Business Continuity Plan decisions.
– Does disaster recovery business continuity systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– What is the role of digital document management in business continuity planning management?
– How important is disaster recovery business continuity to the user organizations mission?
– How does our business continuity plan differ from a disaster recovery plan?
– What is business continuity planning and why is it important?
– Do you have any DR/business continuity plans in place?
– How to deal with disaster recovery business continuity Changes?
Business continuity Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Business continuity quality and integrate design thinking in Business continuity innovation.
– We should have adequate and well-tested disaster recovery and business resumption plans for all major systems and have remote facilities to limit the effect of disruptive events. Do we comply?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once disaster recovery business continuity is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Has specific responsibility been assigned for the execution of business continuity and disaster recovery plans (either within or outside of the information security function)?
– Has the organization established an enterprise-wide business continuity/disaster recovery program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines?
– Do you have a written business continuity/disaster recovery plan that includes procedures to be followed in the event of a disruptive computer incident?
– Does our business continuity and/or disaster recovery plan (bcp/drp) address the timely recovery of its it functions in the event of a disaster?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– What programs/projects/departments/groups have some or all responsibility for business continuity/Risk Management/organizational resilience?
– Which data center management activity involves eliminating single points of failure to ensure business continuity?
– How will management prepare employees for a disaster, reduce the overall risks, and shorten the recovery window?
– What are the Key enablers to make this disaster recovery business continuity move?
– Has business continuity thinking and planning become too formulaic?
– Is there a business continuity/disaster recovery plan in place?
– Has business continuity been considered for this eventuality?
– Do you have a tested IT disaster recovery plan?
– What do we really want from Service Management?
Business continuity planning Critical Criteria:
Adapt Business continuity planning visions and triple focus on important concepts of Business continuity planning relationship management.
– How do we Identify specific disaster recovery business continuity investment and emerging trends?
– Does the disaster recovery business continuity task fit the clients priorities?
Casualty insurance Critical Criteria:
Define Casualty insurance issues and research ways can we become the Casualty insurance company that would put us out of business.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a disaster recovery business continuity process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the disaster recovery business continuity process available?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed disaster recovery business continuity opportunities costing us money?
– How do we know that any disaster recovery business continuity analysis is complete and comprehensive?
Comparison of backup software Critical Criteria:
Test Comparison of backup software projects and report on the economics of relationships managing Comparison of backup software and constraints.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate disaster recovery business continuity delivery for example is new software needed?
– Do the disaster recovery business continuity decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
Comparison of online backup services Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Comparison of online backup services visions and describe which business rules are needed as Comparison of online backup services interface.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your disaster recovery business continuity processes?
– Have you identified your disaster recovery business continuity key performance indicators?
Cost-benefit analysis Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Cost-benefit analysis decisions and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Cost-benefit analysis information.
– Consider your own disaster recovery business continuity project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Is Supporting disaster recovery business continuity documentation required?
Data integrity Critical Criteria:
Analyze Data integrity issues and change contexts.
– Integrity/availability/confidentiality: How are data integrity, availability, and confidentiality maintained in the cloud?
– Does disaster recovery business continuity create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as disaster recovery business continuity leaders?
– What are the Essentials of Internal disaster recovery business continuity Management?
– Data Integrity, Is it SAP created?
– Can we rely on the Data Integrity?
Disaster Recovery Plan Critical Criteria:
Adapt Disaster Recovery Plan goals and oversee implementation of Disaster Recovery Plan.
– The goal of a disaster recovery plan is to minimize the costs resulting from losses of, or damages to, the resources or capabilities of your IT facilities. The success of any database disaster recovery plan depends a great deal on being able to determine the risks associated with data loss. What is the impact to your business if the data is lost?
– The goal of a disaster recovery plan is to minimize the costs resulting from losses of, or damages to, the resources or capabilities of your IT facilities. The success of any disaster recovery plan depends a great deal on being able to determine the risks associated with data loss. What is the impact to our business if the data is lost?
– Are we a listed company, if so ask ourselves this: Disaster recovery planning, or its lack, will affect a companys equity position. why buy stock in a company that will disappear should the data center go down?
– Has your organization ever had to invoke its disaster recovery plan which included the CRM solution and if so was the recovery time objective met and how long did it take to return to your primary solution?
– Disaster recovery planning, also called contingency planning, is the process of preparing your organizations assets and operations in case of a disaster. but what do we define as a disaster?
– What are the requirements for continuity of mail services, such as those specified in continuity of operations plans and disaster recovery plans?
– How do departmental (e.g. payroll, financials, student and medical) disaster recovery plans (drp) correlate with the overall erp?
– Do we plan a Disaster recovery plan test and a full interruption disaster recovery plan test?
– Are the disaster recovery plan (DRP) and the business contingency plan (BCP) tested annually?
– Do Payroll, financials, etc disaster recovery plans (drp) correlate with the overall erp?
– What are all of our disaster recovery business continuity domains and what do they do?
– What are we doing related to disaster recovery planning & programs?
– Has the disaster recovery plan (dr) been created or updated?
– Have we ever invoked our disaster recovery plan?
Disaster recovery Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Disaster recovery projects and arbitrate Disaster recovery techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– You work as a network administrator for mcrobert inc. the company has a tcp/ip-based network. which of the following information should be documented to facilitate disaster recovery?
– Collecting hazard history information can assist you in answering the question – how has the hazard impacted us in the past?
– Can existing lines of credit be accessed (and increased if necessary) to fund the reopening of the business?
– What are our disaster recovery goal prioritazations? Do we want to get the system up as quickly as possible?
– Make decisions about post-disaster recovery strategies. As a guide ask yourself Who are the key players?
– Incorporated your analysis of the market conditions postdisaster into your recovery plan?
– What types of infrastructure are necessary to support post-disaster re-development?
– How can sdn be applied in the context of disaster recovery and high availability?
– Why is disaster recovery business continuity important for you now?
– How often do you fully test your disaster recovery capabilities?
– Does the building need to be secured against theft vandalism?
– What is done with the data captured during an emergency?
– Condition of the business pre-disaster?
– Are businesses in the inundation zone?
– What is post-disaster recovery?
– Insurance coverage?
First aid Critical Criteria:
Debate over First aid issues and differentiate in coordinating First aid.
– Think of your disaster recovery business continuity project. what are the main functions?
– What threat is disaster recovery business continuity addressing?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Generalize Information technology strategies and customize techniques for implementing Information technology controls.
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– Does disaster recovery business continuity analysis show the relationships among important disaster recovery business continuity factors?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
– Why are disaster recovery business continuity skills important?
Information technology audit Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Information technology audit leadership and be persistent.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of disaster recovery business continuity that make it risky?
– Do we have past disaster recovery business continuity Successes?
Information technology audit – operations Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Information technology audit – operations management and get the big picture.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with disaster recovery business continuity ?
– Who sets the disaster recovery business continuity standards?
Insurance contract Critical Criteria:
Review Insurance contract leadership and define what our big hairy audacious Insurance contract goal is.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether disaster recovery business continuity goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Will disaster recovery business continuity deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Memorandum of agreement Critical Criteria:
Read up on Memorandum of agreement tasks and gather Memorandum of agreement models .
– What are the record-keeping requirements of disaster recovery business continuity activities?
– Are assumptions made in disaster recovery business continuity stated explicitly?
– What are our disaster recovery business continuity Processes?
Mission statement Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Mission statement goals and catalog what business benefits will Mission statement goals deliver if achieved.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the disaster recovery business continuity process?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of disaster recovery business continuity moving forward?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing disaster recovery business continuity?
– What do you do if your organization does not have a published mission statement or set of values?
– Mission Statement: Purpose; Business; Values Reason to be?
Project management Critical Criteria:
Review Project management visions and do something to it.
– Troubleshooting – are problems related to what is actually changing (the change), to the management of tasks and resources to make the change happen (project management) or to issues relating to employee engagement, buy-in and resistance (Change Management)?
– First iteration. The plan for the team is then a list of prioritized features, and who is to perform the tasks of developing the features is decided on during the iteration. What is important in the kick-off meeting to enable feedback and learning?
– How do you merge agile, lightweight processes with standard industrial processes without either killing agility or undermining the years youve spent defining and refining your systems and software process assets?
– What of the risk of rework if initial architecture work overlooks what turns out to be critical? what is the probability of this happening?
– How can an agile project manager balance team level autonomy and individual level autonomy in agile software teams?
– What did you accomplish yesterday, what will you do today, and what impediments are getting in your way?
– Do project management and Change Management look the same for every initiative?
– How is agile project management performed in the context of virtual teams?
– What project management qualifications does the Project Manager have?
– What about disaster recovery business continuity Analysis of results?
– How do we maintain disaster recovery business continuitys Integrity?
– What is the role of Project Management Body of Knowledge?
– Does your organization have a Project Management Office?
– So, how does the agile project management model work?
– that is fine as far as it goes, but does this scale?
– What project management associations are you a member of?
– What project management certifications do you hold?
– How much project management is needed?
– How do we minimize impact and cost?
– How do we deal with change?
Project manager Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Project manager risks and look at the big picture.
– There is lots of discussion about the role of a project manager; whether a project manager is needed in the agile world or not. How much and which way a traditional project manager has to change his/her management style or way of working in order to be an agile project manager?
– With agile processes promoting the concept of self-directed teams, is there room for the conventional project manager or does this role also need to evolve to suit the principles of the new paradigm?
– How much and which way a traditional project manager has to change his/her management style or way of working in order to be an agile project manager?
– Do we have these warning signs: This project is not that big and everyone knows what they are doing -why do we need a project manager?
– What are the actions taken by project managers when leading and implementing a transformational change initiative?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good disaster recovery business continuity project manager?
– What should the project manager(s) do differently next time your organization undergoes a change process?
– How can an agile project manager balance team level autonomy and individual level autonomy in agile software teams?
– What processes do project managers and content strategists use to collect content for client websites?
– What are the most important skills practitioners consider make an effective people project manager?
– What potential environmental factors impact the disaster recovery business continuity effort?
– So, if the project no longer needs a detailed master project plan, why does it need a project manager?
– What is the necessity of a Project Manager?
– What is the duty of a Project Manager?
– What was the project manager best at?
– Who are the project managers?
Property insurance Critical Criteria:
Face Property insurance visions and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Property insurance.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a disaster recovery business continuity project?
– What are the barriers to increased disaster recovery business continuity production?
Recovery Point Objective Critical Criteria:
Confer re Recovery Point Objective planning and shift your focus.
– How do your measurements capture actionable disaster recovery business continuity information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Which remote replication mode provides a near-zero recovery point objective (rpo)?
– What is our System Recovery Point Objective RPO (how current should the data be)?
– How is the term recovery point objective (rpo) defined?
– What is our definition of recovery point objective?
– What is the recovery point objective?
Recovery Time Objective Critical Criteria:
Match Recovery Time Objective outcomes and display thorough understanding of the Recovery Time Objective process.
– For your disaster recovery business continuity project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– In the event of a physical or logical disaster, what are the Recovery Point and Recovery Time Objectives (RPO/RTO) that you will need and they will provide?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of disaster recovery business continuity?
– What is your organizations history of meeting recovery time objectives?
– What is the recovery time objective for the application?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the disaster recovery business continuity Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Disaster recovery and business continuity auditing External links:
Disaster recovery and business continuity auditing
http://Disaster recovery (DR) and business continuity refers to an organization’s ability to recover from a disaster and/or unexpected event and resume operations. Organizations often have a plan in place (usually referred to as a “Disaster Recovery Plan”, or “Business Continuity Plan”) that outlines how a recovery will be accomplished.
Disaster recovery and business continuity auditing – …
Business Continuity Plan External links:
[PDF]TD Ameritrade Business Continuity Plan Statement
Business Continuity Plan | Ready.gov
Business Continuity Plan | FEMA.gov
Business continuity External links:
Business Continuity Planning Suite | Ready.gov
Business Continuity Planning – Cal Poly Pomona
Business continuity planning External links:
Business Continuity Planning Flashcards | Quizlet
Business Continuity Planning – BCP
Business Continuity Planning Suite | Ready.gov
Casualty insurance External links:
FMI Franklin Mutual Group – Property and Casualty Insurance
Casualty Insurance – Investopedia
Home – First American Property and Casualty Insurance Group
Comparison of online backup services External links:
Comparison of online backup services – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Comparison of online backup services
Cost-benefit analysis External links:
A Student’s Guide to Cost-Benefit Analysis
Cost-Benefit Analysis Description – The Balance
Data integrity External links:
Data Integrity Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
[PDF]Data Integrity Manager JD – laerdaltraining.com
[PDF]IMPROVING TITLE I DATA INTEGRITY FOR …
Disaster recovery External links:
DRGR: Disaster Recovery Grant Reporting System – …
National Disaster Recovery Framework (NDRF) Overview …
Disaster Recovery Centers | FEMA.gov
First aid External links:
Candidate : First Aid | CPR | AED – instructorscorner.org
First Aid Merit Badge – Main Page – MeritBadgeDotOrg
CPR and First Aid Training by ASHI and MEDIC First Aid
Information technology External links:
Student Email | Information Technology
Umail | University Information Technology Services
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Insurance contract External links:
Insurance Contracts – thismatter.com
2. The Insurance Contract Flashcards | Quizlet
Memorandum of agreement External links:
[PDF]MEMORANDUM OF AGREEMENT Between The …
[PDF]Memorandum of Agreement for the 2017 WGA …
What is a Memorandum of Agreement? (with pictures)
Mission statement External links:
Mission Statement – Orange Coast Title Company
Mission Statement – Northwest Title
Great American Title Agency – Mission Statement
Project management External links:
Project management software, online collaboration: Basecamp
PMI – Project Management Institute :: Pearson VUE
Project Management Institute – Official Site
Project manager External links:
Project Manager job description template | Workable
20 Things Every Project Manager Should Know – CEG
Project Manager Resume Sample & Writing Guide | RG
Property insurance External links:
Property Insurance – Investopedia
Recovery Point Objective External links:
Recovery Point Objective (RPO) | Ncontracts