What is involved in Data Engineering
Find out what the related areas are that Data Engineering connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Data Engineering thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Data Engineering journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Data Engineering leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Data Engineering related domains to cover and 134 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Data Engineering, Information engineering, Application development, Australia, Bioinformatics, Business driven, Business process reengineering, Business re-engineering, Clive Finkelstein, Computer-aided software engineering, Computer Science, Data analysis, Database administrator, Database design, Entity-relationship model, Information Architecture, Information Engineering Facility, Information Technology, Information system, Information systems, Integrated Authority File, KnowledgeWare, Rapid application development, Software Engineering, Systems analyst, T.W. Olle, Texas Instruments Software:
Data Engineering Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Data Engineering governance and know what your objective is.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Data Engineering been identified and analyzed?
– What are internal and external Data Engineering relations?
Information engineering Critical Criteria:
Administer Information engineering decisions and research ways can we become the Information engineering company that would put us out of business.
– How can you negotiate Data Engineering successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Data Engineering project manager?
– How to deal with Data Engineering Changes?
Application development Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Application development issues and get going.
– Rapid application development (rad) techniques have been around for about two decades now and have been used with varying degrees of success. sometimes rad is required for certain projects. but rad can be bad for database design. why?
– Have we thought of cost, functionality,vendor support, vendor viability, quality of documentation, ease of learning, ease of use, ease of installation, response time, throughput, version?
– Which systems play a pivotal role in our organizations continued operations and goal attainment?
– Which systems play a pivotal role in an organizations continued operations and goal attainment?
– Schedule feasibility -can the solution be designed and implemented within an acceptable time?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Data Engineering forward?
– Why wait years to develop systems likely to be obsolete upon completion?
– What is a formalized approach for developing a project schedule?
– How do you measure system effectiveness in your organization?
– Is there a need to exchange data with other applications?
– Did usability perceptions change during the rad proces?
– Who are the potential users of the new application?
– Can all end user classes be identified?
– How time-constrained is the project?
– What is architected rad?
– Why are sdlcs important?
– When to use dsdm?
Australia Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Australia tasks and differentiate in coordinating Australia.
– Think about the people you identified for your Data Engineering project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Data Engineering process?
Bioinformatics Critical Criteria:
Huddle over Bioinformatics strategies and give examples utilizing a core of simple Bioinformatics skills.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Data Engineering, including any consulting or professional services?
– How do we Identify specific Data Engineering investment and emerging trends?
– Are there Data Engineering Models?
Business driven Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Business driven risks and create a map for yourself.
– Why are Data Engineering skills important?
Business process reengineering Critical Criteria:
Boost Business process reengineering goals and separate what are the business goals Business process reengineering is aiming to achieve.
– When conducting a business process reengineering study, what should we look for when trying to identify business processes to change?
– Think about the functions involved in your Data Engineering project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Data Engineering? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Data Engineering opportunities costing us money?
Business re-engineering Critical Criteria:
X-ray Business re-engineering issues and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Business re-engineering is getting what it needs.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Data Engineering experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Are there Data Engineering problems defined?
Clive Finkelstein Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Clive Finkelstein engagements and find the essential reading for Clive Finkelstein researchers.
– Will Data Engineering deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Computer-aided software engineering Critical Criteria:
Investigate Computer-aided software engineering tactics and achieve a single Computer-aided software engineering view and bringing data together.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Data Engineering?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Data Engineering objectives?
Computer Science Critical Criteria:
Align Computer Science quality and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Computer Science projects.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Data Engineering models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Data Engineering?
Data analysis Critical Criteria:
Start Data analysis results and track iterative Data analysis results.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Data Engineering process?
– What is the difference between Data Analytics Data Analysis Data Mining and Data Science?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Data Engineering moving forward?
– What are the usability implications of Data Engineering actions?
– What are some real time data analysis frameworks?
Database administrator Critical Criteria:
Investigate Database administrator risks and correct better engagement with Database administrator results.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Data Engineering leaders?
Database design Critical Criteria:
Group Database design governance and triple focus on important concepts of Database design relationship management.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Data Engineering delivery for example is new software needed?
– Does Data Engineering analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– Who will provide the final approval of Data Engineering deliverables?
Entity-relationship model Critical Criteria:
Guide Entity-relationship model issues and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Entity-relationship model.
– Is the Data Engineering organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
Information Architecture Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Information Architecture engagements and research ways can we become the Information Architecture company that would put us out of business.
– Who will do the classification (IAs, users, both etc.) Deliverables could be: approach for developing classification, controlled vocabularies, thesaurus, taxonomies, classification models including targeted audience descriptions; will there be any use of autocategorization or autosuggesting metadata?
– How does one design a sites information architecture so that findability is balanced with discoverability?
– What sorts of information do users need and expect to be provided as they review search results?
– What can we present to the user on the web that cannot be done as well in any other medium?
– The type of information being searched: Is it made up of structured fields or full text?
– Is there a mechanism to search related information based on information semantics?
– Has a plan for taxonomy design, creation, usage and maintenance been established?
– Does your site have enough content to merit the use of a search engine?
– What should an experienced information architect be learning right now?
– Have text analytics mechanisms like entity extraction been considered?
– Do some users come to the site frequently to perform routine tasks?
– What are the differences in designing a web app vs a website?
– Who are the most important audiences for the web site?
– How to decide when to give up an unsuccesful search?
– How many retrieved documents should be displayed?
– How should items (nodes) be related (linked)?
– Has autosuggesting metadata been considered?
– How are search results integrated?
– Do you need a taxonomy strategy?
– Why not the Amazon model ?
Information Engineering Facility Critical Criteria:
Model after Information Engineering Facility visions and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Information Engineering Facility.
– Consider your own Data Engineering project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– What are all of our Data Engineering domains and what do they do?
Information Technology Critical Criteria:
Sort Information Technology visions and get answers.
– What are the key elements of your Data Engineering performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Data Engineering objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Information system Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Information system tasks and customize techniques for implementing Information system controls.
– On what terms should a manager of information systems evolution and maintenance provide service and support to the customers of information systems evolution and maintenance?
– Has your organization conducted a cyber risk or vulnerability assessment of its information systems, control systems, and other networked systems?
– Are information security events and weaknesses associated with information systems communicated in a manner to allow timely corrective action to be taken?
– Are information systems and the services of information systems things of value that have suppliers and customers?
– What are the principal business applications (i.e. information systems available from staff PC desktops)?
– Why Learn About Security, Privacy, and Ethical Issues in Information Systems and the Internet?
– What are information systems, and who are the stakeholders in the information systems game?
– How secure -well protected against potential risks is the information system ?
– Is unauthorized access to information held in information systems prevented?
– What does integrity ensure in an information system?
– Is authorized user access to information systems ensured?
– How are our information systems developed ?
– Is security an integral part of information systems?
– How would one define Data Engineering leadership?
Information systems Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Information systems quality and devise Information systems key steps.
– Have we developed a continuous monitoring strategy for the information systems (including monitoring of security control effectiveness for system-specific, hybrid, and common controls) that reflects the organizational Risk Management strategy and organizational commitment to protecting critical missions and business functions?
– Would an information systems (is) group with more knowledge about a data production process produce better quality data for data consumers?
– What does the customer get from the information systems performance, and on what does that depend, and when?
Integrated Authority File Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Integrated Authority File tasks and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Integrated Authority File.
– How do we go about Comparing Data Engineering approaches/solutions?
KnowledgeWare Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on KnowledgeWare outcomes and pay attention to the small things.
– Have you identified your Data Engineering key performance indicators?
– How much does Data Engineering help?
– What is Effective Data Engineering?
Rapid application development Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Rapid application development results and find the essential reading for Rapid application development researchers.
– What type of feasibility is concerned with whether the project makes financial sense?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Data Engineering study?
– Are requirements abstract enough and can they change within limits?
– What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a rad proces?
– What opportunities might a new or enhanced system provide?
– What are the potential costs (variable and fixed)?
– How do you decide that a system needs rework?
– What about Data Engineering Analysis of results?
– What is a key aspect of prototyping?
– What are the associated risks?
– Is it applicable?
Software Engineering Critical Criteria:
Probe Software Engineering visions and integrate design thinking in Software Engineering innovation.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Data Engineering product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
Systems analyst Critical Criteria:
Face Systems analyst decisions and pay attention to the small things.
– Will applications programmers and systems analysts become nothing more than evaluators of packaged software?
– In a project to restructure Data Engineering outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
T.W. Olle Critical Criteria:
Contribute to T.W. Olle management and observe effective T.W. Olle.
– Which customers cant participate in our Data Engineering domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Which Data Engineering goals are the most important?
– How can skill-level changes improve Data Engineering?
Texas Instruments Software Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Texas Instruments Software projects and find the ideas you already have.
– what is the best design framework for Data Engineering organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Data Engineering products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Why is Data Engineering important for you now?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Data Engineering Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Data Engineering External links:
IDEAS – International Data Engineering And Science
Data Engineering – Welcome to the Dodge Data Portal
Astronomer: The Platform for Data Engineering
Information engineering External links:
Information engineering (Book, 1990) [WorldCat.org]
School of Operations Research and Information Engineering
Information engineering (Book, 1992) [WorldCat.org]
Application development External links:
Application Development and Deployment Technologies – …
Custom Application Development Examples from …
Application Development | Microsoft Docs
Australia External links:
Adobe Australia – Official Site
Bioinformatics External links:
The European Bioinformatics Institute < EMBL-EBI https://www.ebi.ac.uk
Bioinformatics Graduate Program | Georgetown University
Business driven External links:
Home | DitCoin | Business Driven CryptoCurrency
miMeetings – For Business Driven
Business process reengineering External links:
[PDF]AIMD-10.1.15 Business Process Reengineering …
[PDF]DoD Business Process Reengineering
https://www.acq.osd.mil/eie/Downloads/BSI/2014 RPAR and memo.pdf
Computer-aided software engineering External links:
Computer Science External links:
Learn | Computer Science Education Week
College of Engineering and Computer Science – CECS
Computer Science Curriculum for Grades K-5 | Code.org
Data analysis External links:
Data Analysis – Illinois State Board of Education
Database administrator External links:
Welcome to RICEWorks! | Database Administrator
[PDF]Title: Database Administrator – peoriaaz.gov
Database Administrator (DBA) Salary
Database design External links:
[PDF]Title: Database Design – UDC CSIT
Entity-relationship model External links:
[PDF]Chapter 2: Entity-Relationship Model – Yale University
Information Architecture External links:
Information Architecture – AbeBooks
Information Architecture Basics | Usability.gov
Information Engineering Facility External links:
IEF (Information Engineering Facility) | Maryrose Mallari
Information Technology External links:
SOLAR | Division of Information Technology
Information Technology (IT) Industry & Association | CompTIA
Umail | University Information Technology Services
Information system External links:
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS)
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS)
Information systems External links:
Defense Information Systems Agency – Official Site
HealthCo Information Systems
NTREIS | North Texas Real Estate Information Systems, Inc.
Integrated Authority File External links:
Integrated authority file: IAF – Digital Collections
MEDLARS indexing integrated authority file : chemical section
MEDLARS indexing: integrated authority file
KnowledgeWare External links:
Home – KnowledgeWare
8 ABM Knowledgeware reviews. A free inside look at company reviews and salaries posted anonymously by employees.
KnowledgeWare retries – EBSCO Information Services
Rapid application development External links:
Pega 7 Platform: Rapid Application Development | Pega
RAD (rapid application development) – Gartner IT Glossary
Software Engineering External links:
Software Engineering Stack Exchange
Systems analyst External links:
Computer Systems Analyst Salary – PayScale
Welcome to RICEWorks! | Business Systems Analyst
How to Become a Computer Systems Analyst – WGU